Saturday, July 25, 2015

All that straw

There was a mountain of straw to deal with after harvest, much more than I expected.  We came back with the baler the same day we finished harvesting and made about 80 bales.  I was anxious to begin so I could get a feel for the scale of the project.  Brian loaned me his hay rake and I actually did the first two passes with my minivan!  Enough to run the baler for an 30 minutes and make 80 bales.  Raking and baling go very fast.  I was never able to get a clean time due to breakdowns (the knotting mechanism failed maybe 4 times today), but with clean running we were making 40 bales in less than 15 minutes I would say.


Here is my view on the wagon.  Straw is easy to stack, so light!  The field was variable and we tried to separate the pure straw bales from the bales with clover, which I want to feed to my animals this winter.  In some patches, the clover was thick and made very nice forage bales.


I got so dirty and sweaty on that wagon!  Ron was very steady running the tractor and baler, and never betrayed a hint of frustration during the breakdowns.  I really enjoyed working with him.


Here is the side of the field where the clover was very thick.  You can see all the clover in the windrows.  I stacked bales from these two rows right into my barn the same day for my goats and donkeys to eat this winter.






No comments:

Post a Comment